Open Burning inside the Battlefield Fire Protection District
Open Burning is not allowed in the City of Battlefield.
If Outside of the Battlefield City Limits, following these simple tips can help in obtaining a burn permit:
- The Department of Natural Resources requires that burning will take place at least 200 yards from all neighboring occupied structures.
- There are special conditions for burning in Greene County.
- You must receive permission from the local fire department each day of burning.
- No burning will take place before 6:00 a.m.
- All burning will be completely out at 4:00 p.m.
- The burn permit does not relieve the permittee of the obligation to comply with all laws and regulations.
- The permit may be revoked if the requirements of the permit are not met.
Vegetative Waste Burn Permit
- If you are a developer clearing land inside the City’s Limits, the City of Battlefield, the Department of Natural Resources, and the Battlefield Fire Protection District must be contacted before any burning may take place.
- If you are a developer outside the city limits of Battlefield, contact the Battlefield Fire Protection District for obtaining a burn permit.
- It is recommended that residents within the City of Battlefield take their waste to the recycling center for disposal.
- If you are a citizen with questions on burning waste inside or outside the city limits of Battlefield, please contact the Battlefield Fire Protection District for information.
Items Prohibited from Open Burning
The following items are prohibited from open burning:
- Any waste generated by a business, trade or industry, or any demolition operation
- Any asbestos-containing materials
- Any petroleum based materials
- Springfield-Greene County area: Open burning is allowed provided that burning takes place outside the corporate limits of Springfield and only within areas zoned A-1, Agricultural District.
- Springfield-Greene County area: Open burning of trees, brush or any other type of vegetation requires an open burning permit. The open burning of leaves is prohibited.